The Nagase House is the largest “Gassho-Zukuri” house in the town of Ogimachi.
Its construction began in 1890, and the 11-meter-tall pillar of the five-story building, which stretches through -from the bottom to the top of the roof's slope-, took three years to make.
The Nagase family has continued for 250 years, with their family motto of:
“Love is the treasure of the heart.”
The first three generations were all doctors, and for that reason, the house also exhibits medical equipment used in the Edo period.
The roof replacement of a “Gassho-Zukuri” building is a big event.
Back then, roof replacements happened every 50 years, and villagers formed collaborative groups called “yui” for the undertaking.
In 2001, this event happened at the Nagase House the first time in 80 years, and four 10-ton trucks worth of thatch plants were used.
Local residents and 500 volunteers came together to form a modern-day “yui”, rediscovering personal ties, and confirming the importance of collaboration.
Newly replaced roof is smoked using a fireplace, which makes the thatches resistant to bacteria and insects, and also protects the 500-year old Buddhist altars and lacquer for future generations.
823-2 Ogimachi, Shirakawa, Ono District, Gifu
9:00 to 17:00
Irregular closing days
Adults 300 yen, Children 150 yen
2 hour bus ride from JR Takaoka Station on the Kaetsuno Bus Line, 8 minute walk from the Shirakawa-go Bus Terminal
※The written notice and information on this page are as of the date of publication. Please refer or confirm the latest information of each spot on individual introduced website.