Togetsukyo Bridge

Togetsukyo Bridge
Voice Guide of Spot Introduction
Page last updated: Feb, 15, 2019
TOURIST Guide editing dept.
Jason Surguine
keyboard_arrow_down

The Togetsukyo bridge over the Oigawa River in Arashiyama divides the river into two; the upper course is called the Hozugawa-River and the lower course is called the Katsuragawa River. The original bridge was built between 834 to 848 AD by a monk named Dosho. The bridge you see now at this current location, however, was built by Suminokura Ryoi, who was a wealthy merchant in the 1600s. He is credited with improving the waterways of the Hozugawa River and thus, greatly profiting from it. The bridge was named Togetsukyo, or "crossing moon.” The Emperor Kameyama is said to have been looking at the moon slowing moving over the bridge and musing, "It resembles the moon crossing into darkness.” The current bridge was completed in 1934 and although the pier and the supports are reinforced by concrete, part of the railing is made of wood so as to harmonize with the Kyoto scenery. Many tourist pamphlets about Kyoto and Arashiyama feature photographs of this bridge, as it is a symbol of the Arashiyama landscape.

Information of Spot Detail
location_on

〒616-8383

Saga Nakanoshimacho, Ukyo-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto

Spot Types

Sights

Regular Holiday

Open Year Round

Fee

Free

Transportaion

5 minute walk from Arashiyama Station on Keifuku Railway
5 minute walk from Arashiyama Station on Hankyu Railway

※The written notice and information on this page are as of the date of publication. Please refer or confirm the latest information of each spot on individual introduced website.

Prefecture

Aomori Iwate Miyagi Akita Yamagata Fukushima
Niigata Toyama Ishikawa Fukui Yamanashi Nagano
Shiga Kyoto Osaka Hyogo Nara Wakayama
Tottori Shimane Okayama Hiroshima Yamaguchi
Tokushima Kagawa Ehime Kochi
Fukuoka Saga Nagasaki Kumamoto Oita Miyazaki Kagoshima