Rokuharamitsuji Temple is a buddhist temple located in the eastern side of Kyoto in the Higashiyama district. The temple was founded in 951 by a famous Japanese priest named Kuya and dedicated to one of the sons of Emperor Daigo. Kuya lived from 903 to 972 and promoted the teaching of buddhist sutra chant to the common folk in order to reach salvation. Kuya is said to have been of imperial descent, but gave up the life of an aristocrat to travel the country teaching his beliefs and helping people and communities along the way. There is a legend that during an epidemic plaguing the city of Kyoto, Kuya carved the 11 faces of the Kannon and saved the lives of the people. During that epidemic Kuya made cups from bamboo to give a special tea of pickled Japanese plums and kelp to those who were sick. This creation is still celebrated around the new years by the Japanese. After Kuya`s death in 977 one of his disciples wrote of his teaching and the name for the temple was decided. Rokuharamitsu refers to the six practices needed to reach enlightenment; you must master morality, devotion, wisdom, determination, generosity, and patience. Many of the buildings were burnt down during the civil wars at the end of the Heian era in the 1100's. The temple was rebuilt in 1363 , damaged in the Meiji Era and most recently restored in 1969. Today many people visit it as the 17th stop on the 37 stop pilgrimage of the area.
Gojo Dori Yamato Oji agaru Higashi, Higashiyama, Kyoto, Kyoto
8:00 to 17:00
[Treasure House] 8:30 to 17:00
No closing days
[Treasure House] Adults 600yen, Over middle school 500yen, Elementary school 400yen
A 15 minute bus ride from JR Kyoto Station, then a 7 minute walk from Kiyomizu-michi bus stop
A 15 minute walk from Hankyu Kawaramachi Station
A 7 minute walk from Keihan Kiyomizu Gojo Station
※The written notice and information on this page are as of the date of publication. Please refer or confirm the latest information of each spot on individual introduced website.